Friday, May 18, 2007

Music - Touched by the Divine

[Original Post 11/9/04]

Today, I am listening to music again. And as I once again feel my soul overflow when listening to “Hope For Resolution” and “Agnus Dei” I am reminded of this quote:

“(Music) is no invention of ours: it is a gift of God."

Martin Luther
Like so many of God’s gifts, we can use it well, or poorly – for good, or for evil, or for nothing at all.

There is no proving God. Faith is required. Of this I am convinced. It is a core of my belief system.

Yet, it seems to me that the Spirit touches humanity, reaches into the hearts of individual men, women and children, in many ways. One of the most powerful of these ways is through music.

I am convinced that I could give an impassioned sermon, or attempt via a reasoned argument, to convince an unbeliever of the existence of God and the true blessing of salvation, and I would never have the success which could come from that same person hearing these powerful pieces of music.

A gift of God, indeed.

No comments: