Friday, May 18, 2007

Steve’s Top 10 TV Series of all Time - Part 1

[Original Post 12/8/06]


What makes a TV series a candidate for this list? First of all, it’s “Steve’s” – it’s mine. So clearly, the series has to have these attributes:


  1. I saw it.
  2. I enjoyed it, a lot.
  3. I remember it (especially while I’m creating the list.


Point 1 means I won’t be considering some shows that many people would put on the list. The Sopranos may top some lists, but I didn’t see it.
Same goes for Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Seinfeld gets excluded for a similar reason. I’ve seen some of it, but I have not even seen half the episodes, and I rarely watched it during its first run. [After seeing some shows which made my list of series to consider, I will have to reexamine this exclusion.]
And, given my age, any series which aired before 1966 or so is not going to get on my list. This leaves out I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners, which is probably too bad. Not to mention Edward R Murrow's news shows.


Point 2 should be obvious, but I felt I needed to state it, for completeness. I’ve seen a bunch of Wheel of Fortune in my time, but have I enjoyed it enough to even consider it? Get real.


Point 3 is my “cover my rear” clause. I am sure to forget some great show. Further, I probably loved a show 20 years ago, but I won’t think of it while I’m writing this.


Beyond those three primary rules, what causes me to consider a show for the list? Well, maybe the thing to do is just generate a list (unordered for now) and then see what happens.

Shows for consideration















Star Trek

(the original series)


Star Trek: the Next Generation



Battlestar Galactica

- the recent SciFi Channel show


Stargate: SG1



Hill Street Blues

- In case you thought I only consider SciFi


M*A*S*H

- Yes, I consider comedies, too.


Babylon 5



ER



Lost



Heroes



Nowhere Man

One season only. What a shame.


Quantum Leap

I include it, but...


The Cosby Show



Newhart
- though it's tough to decide between this and

The Bob Newhart Show
and maybe they should just both be on the list.


The Carol Burnett Show



Scrubs

- with caveats. I'm breaking my own rules by listing it. But they are MY rules.


Frasier

- though I must admit I haven't seen them all, either.


St. Elsewhere

- Does anyone remember when Denzel Washington was a fresh face?
Or when David Morse was the sensitive and victimized doctor? Or Howie Mandel - with hair - in a semi-serious role?


Family Ties

- has to be in the discussion. Alex P. Keaton for goodness sake. And talk about a mom who's "got it goin' on" - Meredeth Baxter!


All in the Family

- Funny and important.


Columbo

- Another rule-breaker. It was never, truly, a series.


The X-Files

- has to be on the list.


Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

- If ST:tNG is on the list, this must be too!


Star Trek: Voyager

- Can't make Top 10, but ...


Enterprise

- Its percent of good episodes is probably higher than ST: Voyager's.


Survivor

- my favorite "game" show. And it overcame my initial preconceptions.


thirtysomething

which was un-missable.


The Cosby Show



The West Wing



Sports Night
- short lived but very well written.


NYPD Blue



24

Gripping.


Kate & Allie



3rd Rock from the Sun



Perfect Strangers

- Balki and the "Dance of Joy"!


Monty Python's Flying Circus



The A-Team

Great? No. Great fun? You bet!






It was enough work to create the table. I think I'll leave the rating for another time. In fact, I will leave some parts of the table blank so I can fill in with shows as they occur to me.




-------------------------------


I've made significant additions to this since it was first posted. I may re-post at some point, but for now, it's easier to revise it in place.

No comments: